Edwardsville, Illinois

Edwardsville, Illinois

Saint Louis Street

A Historic Destination.
The Historic Saint Louis Steet Association •PDF• •Print• •E-mail•

The Historic St. Louis Street Association was organized and incorporated in 1999.  It is a non profit charitable corporation which is governed by a 7 member Board of Directors.  The Board members are elected for staggered two year terms at an annual meeting of the membership.  The annual meeting is held on the second Tuesday of May of each year.   Membership in the Association is entirely voluntary.   There are two classes of membership—Member and Associate Member.  Any person interested in being a member may be an Associate Member.  However, only those persons who live or own property on St. Louis Street may be Members. Only Members may vote at the annual meeting.

•Read more...•
 
The History of Saint Louis Street •PDF• •Print• •E-mail•
St. Louis Street emerged from a farm road that began in 1809.  Fifty some years later the farm road became Fairground Road and, in the 1890’s, the road developed into today’s historic St. Louis Street, a street known for its large old trees and lovely historic homes.

The story of St. Louis Street began when John Lusk came to Edwardsville from Golconda, Illinois and pitched his tent at the end of today’s St. Louis Street.  In 1809 he married Lucretia Gillham and together they built their double log cabin on land that is now Woodlawn Gardens.  Their first child, Alfred, was born in the log cabin.  The Lusks created the trail that became the farm road for the farmers who built log cabins along the way to the original town of Edwardsville.
•Read more...•
 


 
Joomla 1.5 Templates by Joomlashack